Have you hit a frustrating patch? Feel you’re working hard, being disciplined, making good choices and you’re not losing weight?
At times like these you’re often CRAVING things you have chosen to avoid. Fatty, greasy foods are calling to you. Sugary carbs are singing your name and it is hard to resist. At times like these, you often say, “Why the heck did I want to lose weight anyway?”
At times like these, that is exactly the question you need to ask. Why DID you want to lose weight? This is Step 1 in my Five Step Strategy To Stay On Course. It”s hard to think straight when you’re stressed or beset with cravings. So make a playbook now with strategies you can put to use when times are tough so you don’t have to think about it when it’s hard to think.
Here’s my Five Step Strategy To Stay On Course With Your Weight Loss:
1. Revisit Your Goals and Write Them Down Now
Remember exactly why you wanted to lose weight and make a list.
- Did you want your waist back?
- Did you want to feel like your old self again?
- Did you want your thighs to stop touching?
- Feel happier with your appearance?
- Fit into your favorite clothes?
- Make it easier to exercise?
- Lower your blood pressure and improve your health?
2. Write Down Substitute Activities
- Write a list of substitute activities you can do to distract yourself from temptation:
- Pay the bills (if that isn’t too stressful)
- Make a meal plan for the week and a grocery list of things you need
- Clean your car or clean the house
3. Write Down Substitute Rewards
- Make time for a relaxing hot bath
- Get a manicure or pedicure
- Get a massage
- List other things that help you feel happy
4. Write Ways To Savor Your Mealtimes
- Plan colorful meals and enjoy their beauty
- Set the table with a little flair every day, not just special occasions
- Add flowers to the table, cloth napkins, add some relaxing music
- Use the good china on a regular basis if you can (if the kids are old enough!)
- Put your fork down between bites and savor every bite
5. Write Ways To Relax Without Food
Make a list of your favorite ways to relax, ways to fill yourself up without food:
- Take a nice long walk
- Make time to read a favorite author
- Take a nap
- Ride a bike
- Pray for others in your life, surround them with blessings